#272 | Apollo 13
It was meant to be a simple space mission to the moon, but 56 hours into the flight tragedy struck.
In this episode, we'll learn how three astronauts managed to use teamwork and quick thinking to escape death and return to Earth alive.
- Background to the Apollo programme
- The objective of the Apollo 13 mission
- The pilots of the Apollo 13 mission
- The three parts of the Apollo 13 spacecraft
- The importance of ground control at Houston
- The uneventful first 56 hours of the mission
- A piece of routine maintenance goes wrong
- "Houston, we've had a problem"
- What actually went wrong?
- Losing all power and being 330,000 km away from Earth
- How quick thinking turned this lunar mission into a rescue mission
- Figuring out the path back
- Conserving oxygen and water and going around the moon
- Fixing the spacecraft to avoid getting carbon dioxide poisoning
- Returning to Earth
- The legacy of Apollo 13
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/apollo-13
You might like:
Keywords: Learn English, idioms, aprende inglés, idiomas, aprender inglês, apprendre l'anglais, imparare l’inglese, ingilizce öğren,英語を習う, تعلم الإنجليزية