294: Jon Ferrara | How to Build a $100 Million Software Company
Jon Ferrara is a successful entrepreneur and firm believer that we’re all on this planet to grow. He builds products that help people achieve their passion, plan, and purpose. He launched Goldmine back in the 90’s and launched Nimble CRM two decades later. John is a noted speaker who’s been recognized in Forbes. Jon talks to your host Travis Chappell about how he innovated an entire industry and became the genius behind CRM’s.
- Jon was born and raised in L.A. in the 60’s and spent his time on the car lot where his dad was a salesman.
- He worked his way through a computer science degree and then after a few jobs he got put in a sales role.
- He created Goldmine which was essential Outlook and Salesforce before either existed.
- Jon was different because he had two entrepreneurial mentors.
- You can always go get a job with another company, so be brave enough to try something.
- When you do have responsibilities it’s harder to jump off the cliff, you have to take into account how things will affect your family.
- What holds people back is not knowing how to get started.
- How Jon made Goldmine scalable and they got to $100 million in revenue.
- Jon learned things in his jobs that he worked his way through college with.
- Jon learned how customers buy software by working in a computer store and in software sales.
- You have to tell stories and get other people to tell those stories to spread the gospel of the technology.
- Service is the new sales.
- The difference between competition and collaboration.
- You have to listen to and iterate with your customer base.
- Jon came out of retirement to unify social and CRM with a new product.
- Why building software is a lot like writing songs.
- If you don’t know any what then it doesn’t matter who.
- The most effective way Jon has connected with people: humanness.
- LinkedIn is like a lobby or business persona.
- Your personal brand and network will help you achieve your dreams in life.
- Figure out who you want to network with and build a good identity, share relevant content, then listen and engage.
The Random Round
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone past or present and talk with them for an hour, who would it be and why?
- Sidarthur, Jesus, or any of the prophets
- How do you like to consume content?
- Jon’s favorite audiobooks:
- Think and Grow Rich
- Jon’s morning routine:
- Get up and wash face
- Make some coffee
- Meditation time
- Reading and content curation
- Help kids with breakfast and get them out the door
- Quality time with wife
- Head to work
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon
- What is something you’re not very good at?
- Artistic endeavors - writing, English, art
- What is one place online where we can find Jon the most?
- Instagram @JonFerrara
3 Key Points:
- Figure out what your passion is, build your plan to achieve it, and make steps toward it every day.
- Enter into every relationship with the intent to serve and grow them.
- The best thing you could do in any relationship is to listen.
- “We’re on this planet to grow by helping other people grow.” -Jon
- “No one hands you success, you need to go out and earn it every day.” -Jon
- “It’s the commonalities in life that build trust between people.” -Jon
- Visit Travis’ website at acast.com/privacy