297: Mark Mascia | From Nothing to Over $1.5 Billion in Real Estate
Mark Mascia is the founder of Mascia Development LLC and has over 17 years of real estate investment experience and has a career portfolio of over $1.5 billion dollars. Mark has two masters degrees from NYU and George Washington University. He is an adjunct professor at NYU’s Institute of Real Estate. Mark believes in being transparent, honest, and ethical to bring the best results. Mark talks to your host Travis Chappell about the value of going to college, how he landed big clients and got to where he is. Learn about negotiation, persuasion and other important tactics Mark has used on his journey.
- Mark grew up in a family where education was extremely important.
- He always had the entrepreneurial itch from the time he was a student on.
- You can discover your why and make your business around your why.
- Everything in life has cycles.
- How Mark decided to pursue entrepreneurship instead of medicine.
- Mark had to take summer school every year to catch up and move into business and entrepreneurship.
- What Mark did between graduating and starting his company.
- Why your experience and education can’t really be separated.
- Mascia Development is real estate strategy and execution for large family offices solely around real estate.
- Mascia Development is now moving into the space of regular investors.
- What a typical deal looks like for Mascia.
- Mascia does some buy and hold and some just hold.
- Mascia’s plans going forward into a market correction.
- It’s possible to muscle through it, grind, and get your first deal done.
- It’s easier to find a partner or mentor who can help you navigate your first deal.
- The biggest lesson Mark has learned along the way.
- Who you know makes your life easier and success faster overall.
- Who you know can screw you if you know the wrong people.
- You don’t have to work with miserable people.
- Some people will always be sucking your energy and resources dry.
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone past or present and talk with them for an hour, who would it be and why?
- Warren Buffet
- He’s everything Mark would want to be in a person.
- How do you like to consume content?
- Audio books or podcasts
- Mark’s favorite audiobooks:
- Ray Dalio’s Principles
- Gina Wickman’s Traction
- Mark’s morning routine:
- 5am workout
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- AC/DC Back in Black or Mr. Brownstone by Guns ‘n’ Roses
- What is something you’re not very good at?
- Organized sports
- What is one place online where we can find Jon the most?
- LinkedIn: Mark Mascia
- Instagram @Masciadev
3 Key Points:
- You have to search for a “why” and then build your business around that.
- You have to know who you are and be real with yourself about what you want to do.
- Life’s too short to do business with someone who’s miserable to work with.
- “The business, just like me, has to grow and change.” -Mark
- “If I don’t understand the why behind doing things, I generally won’t do them.” -Mark
- “Who you know can screw you if you know the wrong people.” -Mark