3: The Promise and Peril of Titanium (feat. Daniel Frydryk)
Titanium is the titan of materials. Without it - our modern world would not be possible. From airplanes, medical implants and expensive jewelry, titanium's properties drive its ability to perform in applications when no other materials can. In this episode Punith and Tom sit down with Daniel Frydryk, an Advanced Lead Engineer at GE Additive, about the current and future prospects of titanium.
Our topics today include:
- Current and future applications of titanium
- Use of Titanium alloys in the SR-71 blackbird
- The Sioux City plane crash
- The use of titanium in Additive Manufacturing
- Why titanium is biocompatible
- The microstructure of titanium and how it affects its properties
- The challenges of using titanium
- How titanium processing affects climate change
- And more!
For shorter segments, subscribe to our channel on YouTube. For bloopers, audiograms, and interesting materials science articles, follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Feel free to DM us @itsamaterialworldpodcast if you have any feedback or recommendations for future episodes. Finally, reach out to Tom Miller and Punith Upadhya on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat about the latest breakthroughs in MSE!