3 - Genetic Risk and Colon Cancer
On this episode of the Triad Cancer Connection Podcast we’re talking with Thuy Vu, a Genetic Counselor at Wake Forest Baptist Comprehensive Cancer Center in Winston-Salem, NC, about how genetics can affect your probability of developing colon cancer and preventative measures you can take to help stay cancer-free.
We’ll also chat with Jill Hyson about her diagnosis of Lynch Syndrome and how it’s affected her life and family.
What we discuss:
- When you should request to see a Genetic Counselor
- Who is considered a medically “close relative”
- When to worry about pre-cancerous polyps
- Collecting your family’s medical history
- The difference between genetics counseling and genetics testing
- How often you should have your genetics tested
- Three possible test results
- How online genetics tests differ from the genetic testing requested by your doctor
- Lynch Syndrome
- Mentally processing your diagnosis