30 - How Angela Poldberg Built a Vegan Boutique From Pop-Ups to a Permanent Storefront
In this week’s episode, Emily chats with Angela Poldberg, the owner of Marne, a boutique located in the East Village of Des Moines. As a vegan, sustainable boutique, Marne only carries brands that are ethically made. Angela was motivated to start her own boutique after struggling to find other retail stores who carried vegan and sustainable options.
Owning a store had always been in the back of her mind but Angela first got her start working in an ad agency and several retail stores like Lululemon. It was those experiences that gave her the knowledge and tools she needed to go out on her own. As a newly opened business, the pandemic hit her hard, but her resilience and determination have helped her grow her brand exponentially.
In this episode, Angela & Emily chat about what it’s like to open a retail store just a few months before the pandemic hit and how she serendipitously found the perfect space. If you’ve ever been curious about what it’s like to go to market in New York and search for brands to fill your retail store, Angela shares the details of her experience with that too. Fellow retail brands or fashion lovers, this episode is for you!
Tune in for topics like:
- How Angela got the idea to start her own shop
- The influence of her ad agency and retail store experience
- How her dream to own a store continued to grow
- Why Angela only carries vegan and sustainable brands
- Going to market and sourcing brands
- What to look for when sourcing ethical brands
- Angela’s experience hosting pop-up shops
- Specific strategies she used to keep her business afloat during the pandemic
Links from the episode: