306: Zvi Band | How to Build and Sell a NINE Figure Software Company
Zvi Band is the co-founder and CEO of Contactually, a Software as a Service company which was founded in 2011 and has raised $12 million in venture backing. Zvi is also the author of Success is in Your Spere. Zvi talks to your host Travis Chappell about the publishing process, what it was like to have a nine-figure buyout, and how to build relationship capital.
- The two things that led to the creation of Contactually.
- Zvi started out being very bad at networking and needed proactive CRM.
- How Zvi decided to attack the real estate space specifically.
- The big vision of the Contactually team kept them from focusing early on.
- In leadership, you have to make really hard decisions and know what to say no to.
- Figure out what markets to serve and what feature sets to delay.
- How Zvi and his team convinced people that they needed the Contactually software.
- How to approach the book writing process from start to finish.
- The top insights people should take away from Zvi’s book Success is in Your Sphere.
- How to build strategic relationships without losing the personal touch.
- Little things can go a long way to help you stand out from the crowd and show you care.
- Who you know is most important but what you know about who you know is also important.
- How relationships got Zvi through the recession.
- How to convince someone else of the power of relationships.
- Set aside time in your life to focus on important business relationships.
- How to make sure it’s as easy as possible for you to do what you do.
- Social media is helpful but it causes us to go a mile wide and an inch deep.
- The importance of thought leadership for companies.
- Nowadays it’s pretty easy to get anything you need to be built.
- Don’t try to build the perfect product initially, try to see if people will use it.
3 Key Points:
- Focus on one market until you feel you’ve nailed that market and then pivot.
- When you write a book you have to believe in it, it’s not just a marketing tool.
- Relationships are your most important asset but you need to be strategic in how you nurture them.
- “My relationships are my most important asset.” -Zvi
- “Books outlive software.” -Zvi
- “If you step out of the transaction and focus on the personal relationships get built naturally.” -Zvi
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university.
- If you want to amplify your network through podcasting apply at travischappell.com/coaching
- Book Recommendation: Geoffrey Moore’s Crossing the Chasm
- Book Recommendation: Success Is in Your Sphere by Zvi Band
- Get sustainable, stylish women’s shoes from Rothys at rothys.com/travis
- Book Recommendation: Donald Miller’s acast.com/privacy