309: Evan Carmichael | How to Tackle Youtube from 0 to 2 Million Subscribers
Evan Carmichael is a true Entrepreneur. At 19 he built and sold a biotech software company, and a 22 he was a venture capitalist raising from $500,000 to 15M dollars. Evan currently runs a Youtube channel for Entrepreneurs with over 1 1/2 Million subscribers. He is one of the "go-to" authorities in the Entrepreneur space. He shares about how to grow a youtube channel from scratch, what made him start his channel, and why did he turn down a 6-figure salary right out of college.
- 5-year-old entrepreneurial Evan: A true background in entrepreneurship.
- Evan's appreciation for the freedom his parents gave him to pursue his own path.
- The difference between Economics and Entrepreneurship.
- Choosing to own his own company vs. making 6 figures at Merrill Lynch.
- The significance of the French riverside picture.
- Evan's journey into doing. What it takes to live without fear and just create.
- What you can learn from Evan "getting his nails done."
- Self-trust and self-confidence: the keys to entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurship is driven by the things that cause you the most fear.
- The connection between happiness and serving.
- Evan's view on delayed gratification: the process outweighs the result.
- Why money can't be your #1.
- Evan shares how partnership strategy saved his business and career.
- The importance of modeling those that have been successful.
- How speaking to 3 people at a local YMCA spawned a new path.
- Why it's so important to focus on supporting and helping people.
- Evan's advice to those that don't currently have the numbers.
- "The Kick": using those that are great as inspiration for what's possible.
- The key to building a successful Youtube channel and why Youtube is the best platform to grow.
- Why focusing on content is more important than focusing on editing.
- The best performing type of content on Youtube.
- The 10-minute video rule
- Who you know or what you know?
- Networking for Introverts: Evan's keys for difference-making connections.
- The Random Round: another profession that would be fun to attempt, who would you spend an hour with, sitting on a park bench, how do you consume content, glimpse of morning routine, go-to pump-up song, what are you not good at.
3 Key Points:
- Live in a way that you will never regret doing something out of fear.
- Model what others have done, and in turn model that for others.
- Spend the majority of your time on training the right skills to be successful.
- “I don't want to live with regret. I'd rather know and fail, than not know.” - Evan Carmichael
- “You very rarely regret the things done, It's the actions not taken because you were afraid.” - Evan Carmichael
- “it doesn't count until it's hard.” - Evan Carmichael
- "I think 99.999% of people are built to serve." - Evan Carmichael
- "I think of gratification as the process more than the result." - Evan Carmichael
- "Money can't be your #1, but it needs to be in your top 5." - Evan Carmichael
- "You go and figure out what the hole is and you fill it." - Evan Carmichael
- "Consistent content wins." - Evan Carmichael