#31 The transformational practice of yoga with Jonelle Lewis
Committing to our physical fitness is a process that can be daunting for so many out there. A huge component to this is how we perceive and digest health and wellness culture in the mainstream and also adds to why we experience feelings of disconnection, lack of belonging, or discomfort within these arenas.
Joining me on the show today is someone who has devoted their career within the industry to challenging traditions and making exercise accessible and equitable for all, Jonelle Lewis! Funnily enough, Jonelle and I have crossed paths many times over the years and this interview is our very first time sitting down to chat. Jonelle is an inspiring figure within this field and has been a mentor and spiritual teacher to so many in need of connection and community.
We discuss how her practice has promoted messages of inclusivity and accessibility, why it’s had such an impact on those within marginalised communities, the plethora of benefits that come from yoga, as well as so much more.
To learn more, tune in to Episode 31 of Fitness UnFiltered!
Some Questions I Ask:
- Was your intention always to create accessible and equitable communities or did that evolve over time? (7:16 )
- Why do you view yoga as a transformational practice? (35:44 )
- What is your vision for the health and wellness space? (53:13 )
- What would you recommend to yoga beginners when starting their practice? (54:57 )
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- An introduction on Jonelle Lewis and what she aims to achieve within her industry (4:01 )
- The impact Jonelle’s classes have had on marginalised communities (11:56 )
- How Jonelle’s practice challenges what a traditional yoga space looks like (15:23 )
- How Jonelle promotes the message that yoga is for everyone (21:00 )
- Our perspective on the fitness industry's reputation & Why working out should be a comfortable and attainable experience (28:05 )
- The community component of Jonelle’s practice (48:21 )
Connect With Jonelle Lewis:
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.