#323: Nathan Baugh – The Secrets Of Creativity
Nathan Baugh is a writer, and student of creativity and storytelling. In this conversation, we dived deep into how a near-death experience set Nathan on a different path, how he goes about capturing ideas, why he’s venturing into YouTube, and his morning routine to write effectively.
(0:00 ) Intro
(2:51 ) Nathan’s Near Death Experience
(5:06 ) Nathan’s Fiction Experiment
(7:30 ) How To Become More Creative
(10:53 ) Capturing Ideas
(15:38 ) Nathan’s Dopamine Detox
(17:22 ) Morning Routine
(24:02 ) Why Creativity?
(27:08 ) What Is Success On YouTube?
(29:23 ) 3 Step Process For Getting Good At Anything
(31:41 ) What Does Improvement Look Like For Creativity?
(38:34 ) Why Does Nathan Enjoy Fiction?
(47:30 ) Process Of Writing Book
(52:32 ) Improving Taste
(1:01:22 ) Trend: Non-Fiction Writers Are Going To Fiction
(1:05:44 ) Setting?
(1:08:41 ) Free Will Vs. Fate
(1:13:54 ) What Story Are You Telling Yourself?
(1:15:36 ) What Emotion Does Nathan Want People To Feel?
(1:19:11 ) Nathan’s 5 Questions For Storytelling
(1:24:12 ) World Building Tips For Me
(1:29:18 ) Challenge
- Ed Sheehan Creativity Faucet – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbU8MSpqTac
- On Writing by Stephen King – https://www.amazon.com/Writing-10th-Anniversary-Memoir-Craft/dp/1439156816
- The Cup of Coffee Theory of AI by Billy Oppenheimer – https://every.to/p/the-cup-of-coffee-theory-of-ai
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull – https://www.amazon.com/Creativity-Inc-Overcoming-Unseen-Inspiration/dp/0812993012
- Dune by Frank Herbert – https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Movie-Tie-Frank-Herbert/dp/0593438361
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card – https://www.amazon.com/Enders-Ender-Quintet-Orson-Scott/dp/0765394863
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown – https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rising-Pierce-Brown/dp/034553980X
- Salt to the Sea by Rita Sepetys – https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sea-Ruta-Sepetys/dp/0142423629