33 - Reinventing the Art Gallery with Liz Lidgett from Liz Lidgett Gallery
Today we are excited to welcome Liz Lidgett from Liz Lidgett Gallery to the Local to Legend Podcast! Liz discusses her journey in the art industry and gives us the inside scoop on starting her own art gallery. After wearing many different hats in the industry, including consultant, curator, entrepreneur, and writer, Liz was ready to create a gallery that respected both the artists and the clients equally.
Born and raised in Iowa, Liz decided to branch out of the state for college, but post-grad life brought her back to her Iowa roots. She found a place for herself in the Des Moines community and realized that she could make an impact in her city. She started out in the corporate world as an art curator but quickly realized that it wasn’t for her. That ignited her desire to start her own business.
After selecting art for businesses around Des Moines, she then transitioned into helping people pick out art for their homes. Through her work she started to notice practices and patterns she didn’t agree with. That led her to start her own gallery, vowing to change things for the better and creating an experience the artist and client both loved. Emily and Liz chat about the art industry, social media in 2021, and how Liz was able to build press around her business. Tune in to learn more about the art gallery world!
Tune in for topics like:
- Liz’s journey in the art industry
- Trusting your gut
- Liz’s passion for helping people enter the art world
- How Liz worked with national magazines to get her brand out there
- Liz’s advice for starting your own business
- How Liz defines success now
- The impact of social media and setting boundaries
- Liz’s future goals
Links from the episode:
- Liz Lidget Gallery Instagram
- Liz Lidgett Personal Instagram
- Lis Lidgett Gallery Website
- Local Business School - ENROLL!
- So You Wanna Start A... series YouTube Channel
- So You Wanna Start A… Blog posts