333: Jasmine Star | How to Finally Get a Seat at the Table
Jasmine Star is an internationally recognized photographer and entrepreneur. She dropped out of law school to pursue photography and became a business strategist alongside her photography business. Jasmine shares with us how she grew her business, living in the “good old days,” and how to break into the big leagues of whatever industry you’re in.
- Jasmine’s background growing up poor and being homeschooled as the daughter of immigrants.
- Jasmine went to college planning on being a writer, but ended up studying business.
- Jasmine thought she needed permission from others to pursue what she wanted instead of giving herself permission.
- Jasmine knows her success isn’t contingent upon anyone but herself.
- Jasmine became one of the top wedding photographers in 2 years.
- Jasmine’s husband worked for a startup while she was launching her business and they were very cash-strapped.
- There will always be hard times, obstacles, and struggles, so it benefits you to reframe.
- Which is more important: who you know or what you know?
- Networking should shift away from reaching out and move to reaching up by sharing valuable content.
- Jasmine shares the value of doing more with less.
- How sharing her process as she learned photography skills made her relatable and gain more clients from it even though she wasn’t a good photographer yet.
- Remember that everyone who engages with you is taking time out of their day to appreciate you, and it’s important to be thankful for their attention.
- The Random Round: a quick series of random questions to get to know Jasmine.
3 Key Points:
- Take radical responsibility for yourself.
- What you know is only useful if you share it.
- Shifting your perspective from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset.
- “In the process of chasing the illusion of happiness, we miss the memories that happen today.” –Jasmine Star
- “It’s not or, it’s and.” –Jasmine Star
- “I encourage people to do the dumb, the slow, the unscalable, the unsexy, the boring, and the hard.” –Jasmine Star
- Visit Jasmine’s website at www.jasminestar.com
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university.
- If you want to amplify your network through podcasting apply at travischappell.com/coaching
- Download the Himalaya App in the App Store or Google Play
- Leave a rating and review for the Build Your Network Podcast on iTunes
- Watch Travis’ free masterclass on how to build the network of your dreams at threenetworkingsecrets.com