334: Topic | Who or What Part Seven with Matt Manero, Evan Stewart, and Jeff Hoffman
Matt Manero, author of “You Need More Money”, Evan Stewart, a 25-year-old luxury real estate developer, and Jeff Hoffman, founder of Priceline.com, share with your host, Travis Chappell, their thoughts on "who you know" and "what you know."
- Matt Manero
- It starts with “what” and moves into “who,” because you won’t be on a big “Who’s” radar unless you have excellence in a “what.”
- Ultimately though, it comes down to who you know.
- If you want to get out of a conversation with someone who isn’t beneficial to you, just say that it’s been a pleasure talking, and then walk away.
- Evan Stewart
- Who you know is more important.
- To break into a higher real estate budget level it was all about who he knew and who his clients were referring him to.
- Education is what you can do to compensate for lack of experience; if you can’t say you have ten years’ experience, you need something else to lean on.
- Jeff Hoffman
- Nobody is great at twelve things, so you need other people in your network to round out your team to accomplish big things.
- Schedule days where you aren’t in the office doing work, but are out in the world growing your network.
- People who claim they’re too busy to network could solve the problem of being too busy by networking and finding people to build a team to take things off their plate.
3 Key Points:
- You need a level of competency in what you do, but you won’t get better at what you do without who you know.
- Schedule time in your calendar specifically for networking.
- Use networking to find people whose skills fill in the gaps of what you don’t know.
- “Excellence in what will not allow you to reach your potential unless you have excellence in who. And excellence in who will not work unless you have excellence in what.” –Matt Manero
- “Everybody says you’re full of crap because you’re in your twenties until you do tens of millions of dollars in sales, and all of a sudden nobody cares how old you are because they know you do your job.” –Evan Stewart
- “No big accomplishment in the world was ever accomplished by one person. You really are limited by the strength of your network or the weakness of it.” –Jeff Hoffman
- You Need More Money by Matt Manero
- Matt Manero’s website | Twitter
- Evan Stewart’s Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
- Jeff Hoffman’s Website | Twitter | Linkedin
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Learn more about mentorships and masterminds for FREE at freemmcourse.com/enroll
- Get your tickets for Travis new live event in Vegas at www.bynlive.com
- Download the Himalaya App in the App Store or Google Play
- Get more free content from Travis at acast.com/privacy