#34 Don’t try and reinvent the wheel - lessons in group exercise with Tana von Zitzewitz
It’s no secret that I’m a big believer in fitness fundamentals.
Joining me on the show today to chat about all things in regards to group fitness, coaching basics, and what she’s learned through strength and conditioning education, Tana von Zitzewitz! Tana has been working in the fitness industry for thirteen years now, having worked as a Master Trainer at Barry’s UK, a Training Instructor at Nike, and a Founder of her own venture, Force Velocity Group. She’s been through quite the journey in getting to where she is today, all of which has been amplified by the knowledge she’s gained as a result of intensive coaching courses and foundational health and wellness education.
We discuss Tana’s experience attending the Les Mills training program, her approach to group fitness programming, how her personal views have changed since attending her first Women in Fitness Summit, as well as so much more. To hear more of Tana’s story within this industry, tune in to Episode 34 of Fitness UnFiltered!
Some Questions I Ask:
- How did you get into teaching fitness? (3:05 )
- What did the Les Mills training process look like? (4:45 )
- What made you stay in the fitness industry after going through such a gruelling experience leading up to your coaching? (7:46 )
- How long have you been coaching at Barry’s UK? (21:26 )
- Do you incorporate strength and conditioning lessons into your teachings? (30:30 )
- How long does it take you to program a cycle and a full class? (32:01 )
- What’s next for you? (51:44 )
- What advice can you give to new trainers who are just entering this space? (1:00:57 )
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- An introduction to Tana von Zitzewitz (2:28 )
- Why wearing different ‘hats’ can help us to manage our energy and stress levels (12:53 )
- What the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system refer to (15:52 )
- What Tana learned through becoming a Nike Instructor (18:48 )
- How Tana structures her class programs & Why learning the fundamentals of strength and conditioning was a turning point (22:16 )
- Tana’s experience with personal development after attending her first Women in Fitness Summit (36:58 )
- How Tana’s most recent project, Force Velocity Running, was born (45:25 )
Connect With Tana von Zitzewitz:
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.