341 Mairi Cowan, Possession and Exorcism in New France
Prepare for tricks, treats, and time travel! In honor of Halloween, we’re traveling back to the mid-seventeenth century to investigate a case of demonic possession and the practice of exorcism in New France.
Mairi Cowan, an Associate Professor of History at the University of Toronto, Mississauga, joins us to investigate the life of a young French woman named Barbe Hallay and her demonic possession. Cowan is the author of The Possession of Barbe Hallay: Diabolical Arts and Daily Life in Early Canada.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/341
Join Ben Franklin's World!
- Episode 108: Ann Little, The Many Captivities of Esther Wheelright
- Episode 197: Brett Rushforth, Native American Slavery in New France
- Episode 278: Sarah Pearsall, Polygamy: An Early American History
- Episode 283: Anne Marie Lane Jonah, Acadie 300
- Episode 318: Ste. Geneviéve National Historical Park
- Episode 334: Brandon Bayne, Missions and Mission Building in New Spain
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App