342: From Duplexes to a 64-Unit and Self-Storage Millions with Kris Benson
From buying duplexes to a self-storage empire! Today’s guest Kris Benson sits down with Brandon and David to talk about his remarkable journey across all kinds of different real estate asset classes.
Kris began with a successful sales career and explains why he transitioned into owning real estate instead. You’ll love Kris’s story about how he built a 64-unit apartment complex (in a cornfield), how he found partners to bring the project to life, and how it all started with one phone call! He also shares why he now invests in self-storage, how he evaluates properties, and why he believes this asset is recession-proof!
Kris provides great advice for raising money and finding your niche, and explains his theory that “deals create deals” as he walks through his journey. This is a fantastic show full of great content.
In This Episode We Cover:
- Why he transitioned out of a successful sales career
- How he got started with a duplex and built up to a large commercial real estate portfolio
- How he acquired 20 small multifamily units—and hated it
- How he built a 64-unit apartment complex from the ground up
- How he got involved in a condo syndication project
- How he began finding the right partners to build multifamily projects with
- His theory on “deals create deals”
- Why he now invests in self-storage
- Where to find data on self-storage and REIT’s
- Why he believes self-storage is recession-proof
- How the best opportunities in his life have come from cold calls to property owners or friends
- How he learned his skillset and why he sticks to it
- His advice for raising money from others
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show:
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Kris's first BiggerPockets Forums Post
- BiggerPockets Store
- BiggerPockets Shirts
- Mindy's BiggerPockets Profile
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast
- Buck Construction
- City Point Capital
- BiggerPockets Podcast 227: From Single Family Houses to $130,000,000 in Multifamily with Joe Fairless