345: Topic | Unique Ways to Expand Your Network with Jeff Brown, Rob Sperry, and Francesca Moi
Jeff Brown, a podcaster and broadcasting professional; Rob Sperry, a network marketing educator; and Francesca Moi, the “queen of meetups” share with your host, Travis Chappell, their thoughts on unique ways to expand your network.
- Jeff Brown
- Launching his podcast was the smartest decision he ever made because it was while he was laid off from his last radio broadcasting job.
- Podcasting gave him global reach in a way radio broadcasting did not.
- He entered the podcasting space in 2012, before it was popular the way it is now.
- Podcasting was a good fit because of his radio background and because he loves how intimate the medium is.
- The fastest and most obvious way to monetize podcasting is through advertising.
- He’s able to make his living entirely from podcasting by mentoring other podcasters and turning it into a coaching business.
- With a podcast, you’re able to get in front of people for half an hour when they likely wouldn’t give you half an hour of their time if you asked them directly; they see it as using their time in a productive way and gives you a foundation to a relationship with that person.
- Rob Sperry
- Some people are givers and some people are “matchers,” who are always seeking to get something back in return for what they give.
- Being an “ambitious giver” starts with gaining a broader perspective and looking at it like a bank account—if you make regular “deposits” of good will and fewer “withdrawals,” eventually you’ll be able to make a much bigger withdrawal later.
- Build your proverbial ark before the storm comes.
- Making a financial investment in something is a motivation to make a greater commitment to that thing.
- Francesca Moi
- Francesca started a meetup group in all the major cities in Australia and in four months it grew to 12,000 members.
- People want a magic solution to getting an audience for their speaking engagements, for example, but the answer is simply to “shut up and build your network.”
- If you start a meetup, focus it around networking and invite an expert to speak to the group to add value.
- To monetize meetups, which aren’t inherently revenue-driven, Francesca built trust through her online presence and eventually turned that into a coaching business.
- She gained momentum for her meetups by announcing it to the current meetup participants in advance, so that by the time it’s announced publicly, there are already attendees.
3 Key Points:
- Podcasting itself can be leveraged as an unexpected networking tool.
- Your best insurance policy is your network.
- You have to get to know your clients in order to effectively market to them and add value to their experience.
- “I don’t know that there is a more intimate form our content can take than when we create audio content. And I think when leveraged well, it’s one of the fastest ways to build an audience and one of the fastest ways to build trust with that audience.” –Jeff Brown
- “I was always taught, go find someone who has what you want and listen to them and do what they tell you to do.” –Rob Sperry
- “The amount of people that come to me and say I don’t know what my clients want from me, and I say that’s because you haven’t been in front of them, you haven’t hung out with them, you haven’t had a dinner with your clients. Plan a dinner and ask them questions.” –Francesca Moi