346: ‘Like Neo Dodging Bullets’, With Zach Gage
Zach Gage joins the show to talk about game design and creativity, including his new game Knotwords.
- Squarespace: Make your next move. Use code talkshow for 10% off your first order.
- Memberful: Monetize your passion with membership. Start your free trial today.
- Kolide: Endpoint Security for teams that Slack. Try Kolide for free today; no credit card required.
- Zach Gage’s portfolio website, with a full list of games.
- Really Bad Chess, which is actually, of course, really good.
- SynthPod, Zach’s first iPhone app.
- HyperStudio — a classic developer tool like HyperCard, but with color support.
- Apple’s original “Cocoa” — Stagecast Creator/KidSim.
- Zach Lieberman’s OpenFrameworks project from 2010.
- Lights Off — the first native iPhone game, nearly a year before the App Store. (I mistakenly called it “Lights Out” during the show.)
- CandyBar — Mac utility for customizing icons, including, back in the day, the icons for the system itself.
- Threes, a great puzzle game of iOS from 2014. (App Store link.)
- 2048, a free Threes knockoff.
- Texas Instruments TI-83 Graphing Calculator, and games written for it.
- PICO-8 fantasy console.
- Playdate Pulp, and Bitsy, Pulp’s inspiration.
- Sol LeWitt, conceptual artist.
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store