362: Big Goals? Here’s How to Get Your Spouse or Partner on Board with Jay and Wendy Papasan
Today’s show is centered around a big question we get ALL the time...
“How do I get my spouse/partner on board with my real estate investing goals?”
It’s the perfect time of year to think through exactly how to do that, and we have the perfect guests to offer some advice.
Jay and Wendy Papasan run an annual couples’ goal-setting retreat in Austin, Texas. Today, they walk us through the exercises they use to help couples (and business partners) confront uncomfortable questions and get on the same page.
Oh, and if you don’t know who Jay is, check out BiggerPockets Podcast 113: Becoming a Millionaire Real Estate Investor Using The ONE Thing with Jay Papasan and BiggerPockets Business Podcast 06: How to Manage Your Time Like a Millionaire with Jay Papasan.
Jay's wife, Wendy, is a real estate broker who leads a high-performing team that’s expanded into four cities.
In this episode, you’ll learn how to initiate a goal-setting conversation with your partner, what kinds of settings work best for this exercise, what questions to ask, and which timelines to use.
Also, stick around through the end to hear Wendy’s tips on using leverage and a “not to-do list” to apply your time and energy more efficiently and be happier.
This is a profound episode with two real estate rockstars. If you enjoy it, do us a favor and share it with YOUR spouse or partner… or pass it onto a couple who you think might benefit.
Download this one today, and make sure you’re subscribed to the show, so you won’t miss the next one!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Wendy and Jay started setting goals together 13 years ago
- Applying the idea of a “leadership retreat” to your family
- What settings work best for goal-setting with your spouse or partner
- Navigating a relationship where one partner is an entrepreneur
- Their answer to, “How do I get my spouse on board with real estate investing?”
- Why most failures of leadership are failures of courage (Keith Cunningham)
- How having tough conversations about goals can head off misunderstandings
- How Brandon’s navigated balancing business with family
- Why Gary Keller calls tough conversations “care-frontations”
- Which time horizons are most useful when setting goals
- Using the language of business in your marriage
- Putting your marriage first, even when you have kids
- Moving at the speed of communication
- Delegating draining tasks to help you keep more energy for yourself and your family
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Youtube Channel
- BiggerPockets Business Podcast 06: How to Manage Your Time Like a Millionaire With Jay Papasan
- BiggerPockets Podcast 113: Becoming a Millionaire Real Estate Investor Using The One Thing with Jay Papasan
- Gary Keller
- BiggerPockets Podcast 355: From Small-Time Landlord to 1,000+ Units Under Contract with Ryan “The Mercenary” Murdock
- Paying Off Student Loan Debt with a Median Income and Two Kids in Northern California with Kyle Renke
Check the full show notes here: http://biggerpockets.com/show362