379: What the Numbers Reveal About Today's Rents, Prices, and Top Cashflow Markets with Data Scientist Dave Meyer
There are plenty of opinions out there about where the real estate market is headed next. But what are the numbers telling us?
Today we dig into the data with Dave Meyer, BiggerPockets' VP of Growth and Analytics and a real estate investor himself.
Dave leads BiggerPockets Insights—a Pro/Premium benefit providing current local market data—and he's been looking at data points in the weeks since shelter-in-place orders began to grind the economy to a halt.
Why are rents down? Why haven't prices dropped? And what data should investors be keeping an eye on? The guys tackle those questions and much more in today's episode.
Plus, Dave discusses his list of the country's best 11 cashflow markets adjusted for vacancy and explains what makes them so attractive right now.
Add in a topical "Fire Round" and a breakdown of Dave's "ski for free" Airbnb scheme, and you've got an action-packed episode sure to bolster your confidence in these uncertain times.
Check out this episode of the BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast, and be sure to subscribe to the show in your favorite podcast app so you won't miss the next one!
In This Episode We Cover:
- The top cashflow markets in the country for high value and low vacancy
- 3 data points Dave looks at when analyzing a new market
- Why housing prices haven't fallen much yet
- Dave's (cautiously optimistic) forecast on real estate prices
- What's happening to rents nationwide
- What "income-to-price" reveals about a market
- What BiggerPockets Insights is
- How new investors can take advantage of this downtime
- The potential of a population shift away from urban centers
- How Dave bought an Airbnb in Colorado to "ski for free"
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinars
- BiggerPockets Bookstore
- BiggerPockets Podcast 186: How to Get Your First Few Properties — Even in a Competitive Market with Dave Meyer
- Air DNA
- BiggerPockets Podcast 048: Duplex Investing, Finding Great Properties, and Tips for Managing Tenants with Darren Sager
- BiggerPockets Pro
- BiggerPockets Insights
- Newbie Real Estate Investors - What YOU Should Be Doing During This COVID Time
- BiggerPockets Podcast 315: How to Read Human Nature to Succeed in Life with Bestselling Author Robert Greene
Check the full show notes here: http://biggerpockets.com/show379