38. COVID-19’s Exponential Growth with Amy Simpkins
In this bringing the podcast back episode, I interview self proclaimed data nerd Amy Simpkins about COVID-19’s exponential growth.
I’ve been personally off the grid due to the death of my father. He was one of my favorite people to walk the earth. A good egg. He went on hospice in December and then passed away in January. While we sat together each evening, with my mother too, we saw reports about a virus in Wuhan which eventually became a global pandemic.
Not quite sure what to do – who really knows right now? – I decided to create a series of resources Notable Women might need to get by right now, and they’re all housed in “The Social Distancing Summit.” You can find that in The Society of Notable Women right here.
We’ve got experts on fear. anxiety, and stress; activities for tiny humans, and interviews like this one here with Amy Simpkins.
Amy is the CEO of muGrid Analytics, and she and her husband Travis created a data project looking at the exponential growth of COVID-19. You can find their work at humansvsvirus.com. The more we flatten the curve, the more likely we can beat the virus!! (I always see Bill Pullman’s speech in Independence Day in my head at this moment.)
One of the things I’ve noted as I talk to people about this virus is that don’t understand why people freak out when there’s 3, or 7, or even in the case of New York City, 300 cases in your community. Ah, my friend, that is what Amy is here to explain.
IN THIS EPISODE, I EXPLORE:
- Why Amy’s the right person to talk to about this
- Why Amy’s personally interested in the data around COVID-19
- An explanation of some of the terms you’ve been hearing – R naught value and CFR
- What COVID-19’s doubling time is
- How we can #flattenthecurve
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I did creating it. You can listen now, right here from this webpage by clicking the play button below.
EPISODE RESOURCES INCLUDE (affiliate links included):
- Humans Vs. Virus website
- Amy’s initial predictions
- Exponential growth explained
- Information about Patient 31, the super spreader
- The Imperial College report (where 18 months is coming from, if you’ve heard that)
- The Notable Woman on Overcast
- My email tool: Active Campaign
- What used to be my online meeting tool, now keeping the fabric of American education together: Zoom
- My website hosting fave: Siteground
“Seriously, get your head around – it’s going to be awhile. And if it’s less than that while, we’ll all be super duper happy.”
<figure class="wp-block-image size-full is-resized"></figure>
Welcome to our community for leaders connecting to our already existing power so that we can remake the world through our work – whether that be for someone else or our own creations.
We help those who are looking to get a seat at the table or build their own in a way that matches their values so that they can use their powerful voices for good while also living lives that they love.
Sound interesting? We’d love for you to join us.
- <svg role="img" class="social-facebook" aria-labelledby="social-facebook-2"><title id="social-facebook-2">Facebook</title><use xlink:href="https://thenotablewoman.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-social-icons/symbol-defs.svg#social-facebook"></use></svg>
- <svg role="img" class="social-instagram" aria-labelledby="social-instagram-2"><title id="social-instagram-2">Instagram</title><use xlink:href="https://thenotablewoman.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-social-icons/symbol-defs.svg#social-instagram"></use></svg>
- <svg role="img" class="social-pinterest" aria-labelledby="social-pinterest-2"><title id="social-pinterest-2">Pinterest</title><use xlink:href="https://thenotablewoman.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-social-icons/symbol-defs.svg#social-pinterest"></use></svg>
- <svg role="img" class="social-twitter" aria-labelledby="social-twitter-2"><title id="social-twitter-2">Twitter</title><use xlink:href="https://thenotablewoman.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-social-icons/symbol-defs.svg#social-twitter"></use></svg>
<label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
<input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" />
<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
About Amy Simpkins
Connect with Amy:
If you liked this episode, check out:
The Super U Summit A MINIMALIST APPROACH TO NUTRITION AND WELLNESS with Bianca Osbourne (must join group to watch the video)
Support the podcast
People like you keep The Notable Woman alive through your Patreon support! There are great perks at every level, starting from just $2/month.
People who support my work through their work:
Leave a voicemail for The Notable Woman!
Call my Google voice number at (213) 340-4231 and leave a voicemail, and you might just find yourself in the next episode of The Notable Woman!
The Notable Woman Website
If you’re viewing these show notes from one of the platforms the podcast is distributed to, head on over to the website at www.thenotablewoman.com for more resources, additional episodes, and more!
The post 38. COVID-19’s Exponential Growth with Amy Simpkins appeared first on The Notable Woman.