394: Open Source Design ft. Joey Banks
This week, we caught up with Joey Banks to talk about contributing to open source design. In the Sidebar, we ask Joey bonus questions about ramping up in a new job, the design advocate role, and being Twitter famous.
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Chris Barrett
- Liam Mews
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to bonus content going forward! Sign up at patreon.com/designdetails.
This week, we grabbed Joey Banks to help us answer a listener question. Joey is a product designer working on design systems at Twitter. Before this, he was a design advocate at Figma.
Why would a designer contribute to open-source design communities? What are the benefits for a designer to spend valuable time contributing to these? Do you contribute and if so, why? I can see entry-level designers contributing to gain some experience or projects for their portfolio but for designers that have been working for some time, apart from exposure or reputation, I can't make sense of it.
- Joey on Twitter
- @joey on Figma
- 110: MAMP Patient Zero ft. Joey Banks
- Apple Design Resources
- Facebook Tools and Resources
- Hand Mirror from Rafael Conde
- Too Beautiful to Live Podcast
- Brian shared Screen Rant Pitch Meetings, a lovely playlist of sarcastic movie pitches that pokes fun in all the right ways.
- Marshall shared Olivia Rodrigo – start with drivers license.
- Joey shared HazeOver, a helpful macOS utility to dim distracting windows on the Mac.
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes