396: Career Cheat Codes
This week, we discuss the things we’ve done in our design careers that have had an outsized impact on our professional growth. In The Sidebar, we talk about the anatomy of icons and how that anatomy affects user interfaces.
Golden Ratio Supporter:
Around is a better way to video call. It’s designed specifically to make it easier to gather small groups together to collaborate in real time, without all the distracting and frustrating interfaces that comes with most video chat software. We love the small floating heads and emphasis on making it easy to work alongside the video call, rather than constantly having to app switch.
You can get started for free by signing up at Around.co!
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Patrik Lau
- Barton Smith
- Andy Knight
- Mancini Tan
- greg leibowitz
- Cindy Z
- Achille Perrin (French pronunciation)
- Yuna Akazawa
- Aaron von Kreisler
- Justin Haldane
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to bonus content going forward! Sign up at patreon.com/designdetails.
- Walter Kimaro tweeted a mini music video on top our theme music. This is the kind of content we’re here for! Thank you, Walter 😊
This week, we talk about “career cheat codes” — or: things we’ve done in our time as designers that have had outsized impact on our growth.
- Become “the person” for “a thing”
- Become a central “connector node” in your organization’s graph
- Learn in public by writing, tweeting, podcast, or anything else that puts your ideas out into the world in real time.
- Brian shared Money Stuff, the best weekday newsletter in finance by Matt Levine. It’s fantastic, funny, and will help you learn about the world of money.
- Marshall shared the HomePod mini. Turns out, it’s pretty great – when it works!
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes