4- Marc Hemeon @Facebook: Design is not art
Marc Hemeon has a truly impressive CV. He has lead design at YouTube, Google Ventures, Oakley, Digg, Design Inc, Fflick and lately Ease Central. He has been designing since 1996 and is a true veteran in the design community.
In this episode we spoke about:
- the distinction between art and design,
- how ugly design can beat beautiful design,
- how to explain the value of your work to non-designers by finding the metrics they care about.
- 2:10 How did Marc get into design in 1996?
- 4:50 How to sell design services?
- 10:20 How to show the value of your work by finding the metrics that organisation cares for
- 16:30 How Marc presents his designs to get buy-in from stakeholders
- 21:30 Asking for information and feedback from stakeholders?
- 25:30 Finding the balance between user goals and business goals (defining your design ethics)
- 29:40 Examples of balancing user and business goals
- 36:05 Marc's biggest design mistake (aka YouTube player disaster)
- 39:00 Design Inc's story (and what clients want from designers)
- 42:40 "Career exercise" that each designer has to do
- 50:00 Why Design Inc did not succeed
- 56:00 Marc explains why "design is not art"
- 1:02:30 Success = 80% Sell, 20% Design
- 1:08:35 What advice would Marc give to young designers?
- 1:12:20 What is one thing about design Marc has changed his mind about?