4. Vision vs Profit, Realism vs Optimism, and How to be More Helpful
LOTS of people reaching out after episode three either going through similar struggles or know people who are. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
In episode four I surface a few of the many things on my mind since last week – whether it's OK to be unclear on the vision of your business, why startups are so hard, how to balance realism vs optimism, and how to be more helpful with your team.
Key highlights / actions this week:
- Vision is good, but a business is better (in my opinion) – ideally you want both!
- Maintain a healthy optimism when building a business – start with yes to avoid shutting ideas down too early.
- Don’t ask “How can I help?” – try to be more helpful than that by offering suggestions.
Links and further reading
- Link to the tweet thread I mention in this episode: "How can I help?" https://twitter.com/jamesjgill/status/1416335928336031745
- A blog post I wrote on starting with yes: https://www.jamesgill.co/start-with-yes/
- Shout out to Liam for putting this diagram together to visualise some of the thinking in episode three: https://twitter.com/liammday/status/1417130852560117760
Thanks again to everyone who is tuning in – if you have any thoughts on this episode, let me know!
Thanks for listening, and see you next time!
Music: Jakarta by Bonsaye, provided by https://www.epidemicsound.com/referral/yjub4r/