408: News Desk, Vol. 2
This week, we talk about Yelp’s new logo and app icons, Apple’s new child safety initiatives, and the miniature masterpieces of the Olympic pictograms. In the Sidebar, we curate practical negotiation tips, strategies, and concepts to help you through a job change.
- Baronfig makes tools for thinkers: guided journals, simple notebooks, writing instruments, bags, desk organizers, travel accessories, and more. Their products are beautiful, functional, and simple — we use them and love them. Use the promo code DESIGNDETAILS21 to get 20% off your purchase of $50 or more.
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Madeline W
- Zhu Nan
- Tim Balzer
- Vanessa Lin
- Luis Yuja
- Michael Wallace
- Jackiel Rothschild
Golden Ratio Supporters:
Plume empowers a billion smart devices in homes and small businesses through a suite of adaptive WiFi, AI security, and parental control. They're hiring product designers to build the future of smart home services. They're hiring product designers with 2-5 years of experience shipping products — learn more at designdetails.fm/plume. Oh, and they just raised a $270m series E, so now's the time!
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to bonus content going forward! Sign up at patreon.com/designdetails.
This week, we talk about Yelp’s new logo and app icons, Apple’s new child safety initiatives, and the miniature masterpieces of the Olympic pictograms.
- An inside look at how we refreshed Yelp’s logo and app icons
- Apple’s New ‘Child Safety’ Initiatives, and the Slippery Slope
- Alex Stamos on Apple privacy
- An open letter against Apple’s privacy-invasive content scanning technology
- On Apple’s “Expanded Protections for Children” – a Personal Story
- Calculating outer corner radius for concentric rounded corners
- Olympic Pictograms: Miniature Masterpieces
- Brian shared The Suicide Squad, the new James Gunn remake of the 2016 flop. It was fun! If you’re into R-rated superhero movies, this will be right up your alley.
- Marshall shared Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever (album link). Don’t stop reminding Marshall that he’s a Billie Eilish hipster!
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes.