410: Agency vs In-House Design
This week, we compare agency vs. in-house design work, dissect the tradeoffs, and share interview tips for anyone moving from an agency to a product company. In The Sidebar, we share our favorite Keynote tips and tricks and our top strategy for telling a more clear story in a deck.
- Baronfig makes tools for thinkers: guided journals, simple notebooks, writing instruments, bags, desk organizers, travel accessories, and more. Their products are beautiful, functional, and simple — we use them and love them. Use the promo code DESIGNDETAILS21 to get 20% off your purchase of $50 or more.
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Andrew Frank
- Olowu Abayomi
- David East
- Paige Mariucci
- Alfredo Contreras
- Miguel Salvador
Golden Ratio Supporters:
Plume empowers a billion smart devices in homes and small businesses through a suite of adaptive WiFi, AI security, and parental control. They're hiring product designers to build the future of smart home services. They're hiring product designers with 2-5 years of experience shipping products — learn more at designdetails.fm/plume. Oh, and they just raised a $270m series E, so now's the time!
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to bonus content going forward! Sign up at patreon.com/designdetails.
This week, we compare agency vs. in-house design work, dissect the tradeoffs, and share interview tips for anyone moving from an agency to a product company.
- Brian Leach asks on Twitter: have you dudes done an episode on in-house design vs agency work? Would love some perspective on different ways to think about that dilemma
- Brian shared Dave on FX/Hulu. Push through S2E3 if it’s not your thing, the rest of the season ends on a high note.
- Marshall shared Y the Last Man, upcoming on Hulu. Based on the trailer, the show looks true to the comics but we’ll have to see when it comes out!
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes.