#42 - Chaos Engineering - Mikołaj Pawlikowski
“Chaos engineering is the discipline of experimenting on the system in order to increase your confidence that the system will survive difficult conditions."
Mikołaj Pawlikowski is an engineering lead at Bloomberg and the author of “Chaos Engineering: Site reliability through controlled disruption“. In this episode, Miko shared about what chaos engineering is, including clarifications on some of the common misconceptions. Miko also mentioned about the chaos engineering tools, steps and prerequisites to do chaos engineering, and the skill set required of a chaos engineer, and how we should explain the rationale and motivation behind chaos engineering to get the management buy-in. Towards the end, Miko also shared about chaos engineering for people; an interesting excerpt taken from his book, and his mission over the last few years to make chaos engineering boring.
Listen out for:
- Career Journey - [00:04:26 ]
- Chaos Engineering - [00:05:15 ]
- “Chaos“ in Chaos Engineering - [00:08:37 ]
- Getting Management Buy-in - [00:13:08 ]
- Running in Production - [00:18:29 ]
- Other Common Misconceptions - [00:20:53 ]
- 4 Steps to Chaos Engineering - [00:25:41 ]
- Skill Set of a Chaos Engineer - [00:28:11 ]
- Examples of Chaos Engineering Tools - [00:32:09 ]
- Chaos Engineering for People - [00:37:48 ]
- Make Chaos Engineering Boring - [00:42:08 ]
- 3 Tech Lead Wisdom - [00:46:12 ]
Mikołaj Pawlikowski’s Bio
Mikołaj Pawlikowski is an engineering lead at Bloomberg. He’s the author of “Chaos Engineering: Site reliability through controlled disruption”, a frequent speaker, and the maintainer of Goldpinger and PowerfuSeal open source projects.
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikolajpawlikowski/
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/mikopawlikowski
- Github – https://github.com/seeker89/chaos-engineering-book
- “Chaos Engineering“ book – https://www.manning.com/books/chaos-engineering
- Chaos Engineering Newsletter – https://chaosengineering.news/
Are you looking for a new cool swag?
Tech Lead Journal now offers you some swags that you can purchase online.
These swags are printed on-demand based on your preference, and will be delivered safely to you all over the world where shipping is available.
Check out all the cool swags by visiting https://techleadjournal.dev/shop.
Like this episode?
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app and submit your feedback.
Follow @techleadjournal on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
Pledge your support by becoming a patron.
For more info about the episode (including quotes and transcript), visit techleadjournal.dev/episodes/42.