422: The Fun Distro
We try out what might be the most fun Linux distribution around. It started as a laugh, but now we’re in love.
Plus, the reunion road trip hits a bump, some community news, feedback, picks, and more.
Special Guest: Brent Gervais.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- A Cloud Guru: Students will install and configure various use cases for Apache, Squid, and NGINX, including virtual hosts, proxy and reverse proxy servers, HTTPS/SSL, and load balancing. We’ll also discuss how to collect Apache metrics, as well as the differences between Apache and NGINX.
- The Light Phone — The Light Phone II is a premium, minimal phone. It will never have social media, clickbait news, email, an internet browser, or any other anxiety-inducing infinite feed.
- Ingenuity Is So Good, NASA’s Mars Helicopter Mission Just Got an Exciting Update — Given its stunning and unexpected success, NASA has extended Ingenuity's mission indefinitely.
- KDE’s Plasma Wayland Session Is “Finally Reaching Stability” Following Many Fixes — "Gazillions of bugfixes...Including many for the Plasma Wayland session! It’s finally reaching stability. I know it’s taken a while, but I think we’re very nearly there!"
- This week in KDE: gazillions of bugfixes
- Nftables reaches 1.0 — The release of nftables 1.0.0 can be seen as a signal that it is time for the laggards to get more serious about making the switch. While it is hard to imagine iptables support being removed anytime soon, it's rather easier to foresee that enthusiasm for maintaining it will continue to wane. It only took 13 years, but this transition finally appears to be heading into its final stage.
- nftables wiki
- Garuda Linux — Garuda Linux is a rolling release distro based on Arch Linux, which ensures always getting the latest software updates.
- Garuda Whoogle
- Garuda Startpage
- Stickers | Jupiter Broadcasting Garage Sale
- Pick: yt-dlp — A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes.
- Pick: ytmdl — A simple app to get songs from YouTube in mp3 format with artist name, album name etc from sources like iTunes, Spotify, LastFM, Deezer, Gaana etc.