424: A Roach Riding a Rat
DISCUSSED: the restorative tonic of a good night's sleep; a return to sleep as video game; it's okay to tweet your hosts about hoagies and Publix; concerns about butt cancer; Dan recommends a Netflix series; Merlin endorses Overcast clips; the difficulty of balancing user requests with reality; Merlin commends the deliberate simplicity of his daughter's spork; Merlin recommends a podcast; and, finally, your hosts respond to a listener's email about the therapeutic benefits of "controlling a small area."
Links for this episode:
- Clip sharing with Overcast – Marco.org
With today’s 2019.4 update, you can now share audio or video clips, up to a minute each, from any public podcast. Simply tap the share button in the upper-right corner.
- Against the Rules with Michael Lewis — Overcast
- Breaking Government with Michael Lewis — Why Is This Happening? with Chris Hayes — Overcast
- Mise en place - Wikipedia
- 5by5 | Back to Work #385: A Picture of a Clown
Dan and Merlin also answer listener questions about mise en place and doubting one's future after college.
- 5by5 | Back to Work #222: Full-Stack Obsessive
Merlin and Dan use The Aviator as a jumping-off point to talk about OCD as it relates to perfectionism, creativity, and drive in the workplace. They discuss rituals and their consequences, the importance of mise en place, and eliminating disruptive processes.
- Why Cleaning Makes Some People Feel Less Anxious - Tonic
If you're one of those people, there could be a few explanations for why cleanliness translates to lower levels of stress and anxiety for you, says Darby Saxbe, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Southern California. “[Cleaning] gives people a sense of mastery and control over their environment,” she says. “Life is full of uncertainty and many situations are out of our hands, but at least we can assert our will on our living space. Clutter can be visually distracting, too, and serve as a nagging reminder of tasks and chores undone.”
- Sleep Watch App — Apple Watch Sleep Tracker App
- Yass Cat (Original Vine) - YouTube
- Netflix Commercial - SNL - YouTube
- List: E-mail Addresses It Would Be Really Annoying to Give Out Over the Phone - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
- Fireside Podcast Hosting
Use promo code DRAGONGLASS for 20% off for three months.
- "Mr. Show with Bob and David" Life Is Precious and God and the Bible (TV Episode 1998) - IMDb
- Structured Procrastination