435: Scanner of Horizons
DISCUSSED: kindness; eyeglasses, at length—including eyeglasses indignities, discounts, and injuries; a renewed surfeit of dingalings, fake friends, and a dumb podcast hit piece; and, finally, your hosts respond to a listener question on getting stressed about personal quantization.
Links for this episode:
- How to Convince Someone When Facts Fail - Scientific American
- Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm Closed Dynamic Headphones Bundle with Blucoil 6-FT Headphone Extension Cable (3.5mm) and Headphone Hook: Home Audio & Theater
- Amazon.com: AS2M (1053121), Long Point Sharpener, sharpens in 2 steps; 2 spare blades includes. With lead pointers for 2 mm and 3.2 mm. BLUE only: Gateway
- Portlandia - The Knot Store - HD - YouTube
"I think we've arrived."
- His Dark Materials: Season 1 | San Diego Comic-Con Trailer | HBO - YouTube
- Dorkus Malorkus - YouTube
- XY problem - Wikipedia
The XY problem is a communication problem encountered in help desk and similar situations in which the real issue, X, of the person asking for help is obscured, because instead of asking directly about issue X, they ask how to solve a secondary issue, Y, which they believe will allow them to resolve issue X.
- 51:26" target="_blank">MBMBaM 188: Holler Smarts — My Brother, My Brother And Me — Overcast
"Have you considered LegalZoom?"
- 5by5 | Back to Work #433: The Muscle of Worry
- Thinking, Fast and Slow - Wikipedia
The central thesis is a dichotomy between two modes of thought: "System 1" is fast, instinctive and emotional