459: Jennifer Kem | Build Your Value Then Your Brand
Jennifer Kem is a brand futurist, business strategist, and leadership mentor to women-founded companies. Her entire mission is to help them get seen, heard, and paid more based on their values. She’s the creator of the Master Brand Method: a framework to develop powerful brand archetypes that bring the same strategies from major brands like Oprah Winfrey Network, Steve Harvey, and Verizon to small businesses. Her brand and personal values are founded on Autonomy, Justice, Generosity, Leadership, and Legacy, and as a 2nd generation Filipino-American, she speaks out often about racial injustice and gender inequality. Jennifer built a multi-million dollar retail business at 32, only to lose it all in the recession two years later. She owns three million-dollar brand-building businesses and is the mother of three children. Jennifer empowers her audience with business tips on her Facebook and Instagram, and has been featured as a branding expert in Forbes, CNN and Entrepreneur.
On this episode:
- Jennifer talks about her childhood growing up on a sugar plantation in Hawaii and attending a private Catholic school.
- She explains how her curiosity and interest in business led her to feel isolated and desiring something different.
- Jennifer and Travis discuss the importance of her mentors and the values they helped her learn.
- Jennifer describes her career and the path she took to get where she is now.
- She tells of the time when she was passed over for a promotion and it helped her realize that she was not truly living her values.
3 Key Takeaways:
- Try many things!- Be committed to finding clarity but not attached to the "how".
- Take the projects no one wants- It will challenge you and people will notice.
- As an entrepreneur, if you are not making 7 figures, the gap is in marketing!
- Instagram: @jennifer.kem
- Instagram: @travischappell
If you want to uncover who you really are as a brand and gain advantage that makes you exceptional in your industry, check out this special brand assessment just for BYN listeners: https://masterbrand.me/network