461: Erik Vance | The Curious Science of the Suggestible You
Erik Vance (@erikvance) is an award-winning science journalist and author of Suggestible You: The Curious Science of Your Brain's Ability to Deceive, Transform, and Heal.
What We Discuss with Erik Vance:
- How the human tendency for patternicity can be used to inoculate ourselves against pain, but also make us believe we've been abducted by space aliens.
- The placebo effect vs. the nocebo effect.
- The power of false memories and the "Satanic Panic" phenomenon of the 1980s.
- How our brains twist reality to match expectations, and how it fits into our evolutionary model for survival.
- Why Erik paid a Mexico City witch doctor to curse him -- for science!
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/461
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking -- our free networking and relationship development mini course -- at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!