484: What to Eat & When to Eat to Optimize Your Microbiome | Tim Spector
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/timspector484
Tim Spector (IG: @tim.spector) is a medically qualified Professor of Epidemiology and Director of the TwinsUK registry at King’s College London.
His current work focuses on the microbiome and nutrition, and he is co-founder of the data science company ZOE.
Today, we dive deep into the microbiome, a topic Tim is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about. You’ll learn specifically what to do to heal your gut, starting today.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why can’t we all agree on the optimal diet?
- It’s not an obesity crisis, it’s a food crisis
- The four basic rules to optimize your gut microbiome
- What happens in the body after you eat foods high in polyphenols?
- Diets low in fiber wipe out good microbes
- Why you need to eat a diversity of foods
- The gut microbiome protocol Tim used to rebuild his son’s gut diversity
- Tim’s thoughts on probiotic & prebiotic supplements
- The impact of ultra-processed foods on the microbiome
- The effects of antibiotics & pesticides on the gut microbiome
- How Tim became fascinated with the microbiome
- Why are twins' microbiomes so different?
- Studying the gut microbiome of the Hadza tribe in Africa
- A typical day in the life of a member of the Hazda tribe
- Fasting gives your gut microbes a rest
- Short-term vs. long-term benefits of intermittent fasting
- The flexitarian approach to eating 30 plants a week
- Is eating fish healthy for you?
- The truth about fish oil supplements
- Bring back real food + what you can do as a consumer
- How people reacted to Tim’s book, Spoon-Fed
- Choose whole foods over supplements
- What the science says about gluten
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you'd prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you're there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.