492: Michael Shermer | Why We Believe Weird Things
Michael Shermer (@michaelshermer) is the founder of Skeptic magazine and several books on the nature of belief. He’s the Director of The Skeptics Society, a non-profit dedicated to the promotion of science, reason, and critical thinking. He joins us to discuss why people believe weird things. [This is a rebroadcast that originally aired in 2016.]
What We Discuss with Michael Shermer:
- How do beliefs form and persist even when we know they’re wrong?
- Why do skeptics (and restaurant owners) scowl at the mention of Uri Geller?
- Why are smart people even more susceptible to faulty beliefs?
- How do our genes influence our political and religious beliefs?
- What’s the difference between a skeptic and a cynic?
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/492
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!