494: How to Use Dopamine as a Superpower in the Age of Addiction | Dr. Anna Lembke
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/494drannalembke
Dr. Anna Lembke is a professor of psychiatry and behavioural sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine and chief of the Stanford Addiction Medicine Dual Diagnosis Clinic.
She appeared in the Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma, which provides an unvarnished look at the impact of social media on our lives.
In her latest book, Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence, an instant New York Times bestseller, Anna explores how to moderate compulsive overconsumption in a dopamine-overloaded world.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is dopamine and how it reacts in the body
- How dopamine becomes a problem
- Netflix stimulates dopamine
- Navigating today’s addictive culture
- How people end up in a dopamine deficit state
- The best way to asses your relationship with dopamine
- The timeline follow-back method (TLFB)
- Workaholism has become a drug
- The “work hard, play hard” lifestyle is not sustainable
- Addiction is a spectrum disorder
- Is addiction genetic or environmental?
- The first step of recovery
- Avoid cross-addictions
- Healthy tips for managing kid's screen time
- Digital content is engineered to be addictive
- The increase in self-loathing in today’s culture
- Learn to be present without the anticipation of a reward
- Set self-binding strategies with social media
- Is abstinence is easier than moderation?
- The key message in hormesis
- Adrenaline junkies become immune to dopamine highs
- Athletes and performers suffer from performance withdrawal
- Exercise speeds up the addiction recovery process
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you'd prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you're there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.