5: Fueling a Cleaner Future with Hydrogen and Catalysts (feat. Dr. Maurits van Tol)
How can we store and produce energy more sustainably? That is a question that we asked Dr. Maurits van Tol, the Chief Technology Officer at Johnson Matthey, in today's episode of the podcast. During this wide ranging conversation we learned how catalysts, hydrogen and other innovations in materials science can help achieve a more sustainable future.
Our topics in today’s episode include:
- The goal of scaling up the hydrogen energy economy (5:40 )
- How catalysts are used to stop air pollutants (8:00 )
- Catalysts being used to make industrial processes less intensive (10:47 )
- Hydrogen as an energy storage solution (12:04 )
- Overcoming limitations on the hydrogen industry (18:17 )
- Recycling of Platinum Group Metals (21:08 )
- Developing newer and more sustainable battery technologies (27:30 )
- And much more!
Youtube Video about PGMs by Periodic Videos: https://youtu.be/Fg2WzCzKpYU
For shorter segments, subscribe to our channel on YouTube. For bloopers, audiograms, and interesting materials science articles, follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Feel free to DM us @itsamaterialworldpodcast if you have any feedback or recommendations for future episodes or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Finally, reach out to Tom Miller and Punith Upadhya on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat about the latest breakthroughs in MSE!