5 - Colon Cancer Survivorship
On this episode of the Triad Cancer Connection Podcast we’re talking about survivorship with Kristin Houston, PA and Dr. Stacy Wentworth of Wake Forest Baptist Cancer Survivorship Clinic in Winston-Salem, NC. They walk us through recommendations regarding follow up medical treatment, treating common side effects, and the mental challenges that come with transitioning into post-treatment life.
We’ll also chat with Malek Rais, an eight-year colon cancer survivor, about his experience and how becoming a patient advocate at Cancer Services aided in his recovery.
What we discuss:
- The current recommendations for colon cancer survivors regarding follow up appointments, colonoscopies and other types of medical management
- The most important things you can focus on outside of medical management after completing active treatment
- Determining small goals to help you transition to post-treatment life
- Maximizing quality of life for survivors who remain on active treatment
- Being open with your health care provider about any symptoms you’re experiencing, even if they appear minor or unrelated
- Treating common side effects of cancer treatment
- Establishing a survivorship support team
If you’re interested in participating in the clinical trials mentioned in this episode, please contact Meg Omara at 336-716-9055.
Wake Forest Baptist Cancer Survivorship Clinic
Wake Forest Baptist Comprehensive Cancer Center
Cancer Services, Inc.
Colon Cancer Coalition
Get Your Rear in Gear 2020 Race
Race Facebook Event Page