513: The Top Foods to Put On Muscle, Melt Fat & Prevent Disease | Stan Efferding
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/513stanefferding
Stan Efferding (IG: @stanefferding) is the founder and co-author of The Vertical Diet and co-founder of The Vertical Diet Meal Prep company & the Vertical Tracker app.
He is an IFBB professional bodybuilder and multiple world record setting powerlifter who holds the title of Mr. Olympia’s World Strongest Pro Body Builder.
Today we’re discussing putting on muscle for someone who’s trying to get stronger and bigger and losing fat to get to an ideal body size.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Nutrition & sleep play a key role in muscle recovery
- The biggest mistakes Stan made along his bodybuilding journey
- The difference between bodybuilding vs.powerlifting
- How to gain weight/bulk up in a healthy way
- How much protein do you really need each day?
- Carbohydrates don't need to be demonized
- Should you eat carbs before bed?
- How to get blood testing done online
- Consuming carbs when training can improve performance
- Early vs. late time-restricted feeding
- Why Stan works out in the morning + what he eats in a day
- Stan’s thoughts on protein powder + what he recommends
- The best time to eat protein when training
- Take a 10 minute walk after each meal
- Exercise recommendations for people 55+
- Why Stan focuses on lower fatigue movements for longevity
- Redefining your health & fitness goals as you age
- Stan’s experience with performance-enhancing drugs
- The evolution of performance-enhancing drugs in the fitness industry
- How to naturally raise your testosterone level
- How to lose weight
- The top foods on the satiety index
- Stan’s supplement recommendations
- At what age should kids start working out?
- Gaining muscle doesn’t happen overnight
BiOptimizers <== 10% off BiOptimizers MassZymes by using the code ultimatehealth10 at checkout
Seed <== 20% off your first month of Seed's DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
LMNT <== Claim your free LMNT Sample Pack when you make any purchase
Stan Efferding, Damon McCune - The Vertical Diet (book)
Follow Stan Efferding on Facebook and Instagram
International Society of Sports Nutrition (issn)
Stan Efferding on Impact Theory with Tom Bilyeu
Listen or watch Mike Mutzel previously on TUHP (episodes #058 and #492)
Mike Mutzel - Belly Fat Effect (book)
Listen to Dr. Paul Saladino previously on TUHP (episode #400)
Dr. Paul Saladino - The Carnivore Code (book)
Alan Aragon - Flexible Dieting (book)
Stuart Phillips - McMaster University
Derek Miles - Resistance Training for Youth - Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, and Part V
Use This Secret Method to Lose Weight for Good | Liz Josefsberg (#511)
Intermittent Fasting Is the Key to Weight Loss | Dr. Jason Fung (#467)
Tony Horton Shares His Secrets for Losing Weight and Getting in the Best Shape of Your Life (#440)
The Most Effective Weight Loss and Fitness Techniques With Jillian Michaels (#415)
From Mr. Universe to Mr. Marshmallow & Eventually Finding True Health With Wade Lightheart (#414)
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.