514: How to Build Muscle to Burn Body Fat & Live Longer | Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/514drgabriellelyon
Dr. Gabrielle Lyon (IG: @drgabriellelyon) is a well-respected functional medicine practitioner and the founder of the Institute for Muscle-Centric Medicine.
She is a nationally recognized speaker and media contributor specializing in brain & thyroid health, lean body mass support and longevity.
Gabrielle’s goal is to change the paradigm of medicine from obesity-focused to muscle-centric and change the way we think about health and medicine with high scientific integrity.
If you’re looking to learn how to build muscle and why it’s so important for a long and healthy life, this episode is for you!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Muscle is the organ of longevity
- Understanding how to build muscle
- Maintaining healthy muscle is critical
- Identify the importance of skeletal muscle
- How do we get healthy muscle?
- The process of muscle protein synthesis
- What is a DEXA body composition scan?
- BMI (body mass index) is an outdated measurement
- Skeletal muscle is an endocrine organ
- Focus on strength first
- The best exercises for building strength
- Optimal dietary protein intake requirements
- The problem with nutrition labels and protein
- Choose whey over pea protein
- Consume 30-50 grams of protein with your first meal of the day
- Who benefits from supplementing with branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)?
- Is there a connection between amino acids and cancer?
- Understanding dietary protein and gluconeogenesis
- Should you consume protein before and after training?
- Why Gabrielle is rethinking her intermittent fasting strategy
- Prioritize sleep and recovery
- You develop your natural strength for life during adolescence
- It’s never too late to start working out
- Make time for fitness
- Leg strength is key for older people
- The top supplements Gabrielle recommends
- What is Urolithin A?
- Collagen is an incomplete protein
- The benefits of creatine
- Gabrielle’s typical day working out + what she eats in a day
- Debunking the myth that working out = bulking up
- Gabrielle's top 3 tips to break through mental resistance
- Set standards for who you want to be
- What Gabrielle learned from working with people on their deathbed
- Vegans can’t eat their way out of climate change
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Just Thrive <== 15% off all Just Thrive products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Follow Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
International Society Of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
1st Phorm - Natural Whey Powder
The Top Foods to Put On Muscle, Melt Fat & Prevent Disease | Stan Efferding (#513)
The 5 Best Foods for Longevity! (Eat as One Meal) | Max Lugavere (#502)
How to Boost Your Metabolism, Melt the Fat Away & Build Muscle | Sal Di Stefano (#500)
The Hidden Root Cause of Most Chronic Disease | Dr. Benjamin Bikman (#448)
Harvard Professor Shares That Humans Never Evolved to Exercise (You’re Not Lazy!) | Daniel Lieberman (#428)
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.