515: Oxford Neuroscientist Reveals How Poor Sleep Is Destroying Your Health! | Russell Foster
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/515russellfoster
Russell Foster is an Oxford Neuroscientist that’s been elected to the Royal Society.
Today we’re discussing his book Life Time: Your Body Clock and Its Essential Roles in Good Health and Sleep.
You’re not going to want to miss this conversation - you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to sync your body clock and optimize your sleep.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Melatonin isn't the "sleep hormone"
- Blue light exposure increases alertness
- Morning light helps set the body clock
- Use a LUX meter to measure light
- Supplement with Vitamin D in the winter
- Sleep your way to better cognition
- Light boxes are an effective biohack
- The negative effects of sleep-wake disruption
- The misalignment between wakefulness and sleep pressure
- The effect of working the night shift on your body & relationships
- What determines your chronotype?
- How much sleep do you actually need?
- Parents, start prioritizing sleep and embracing naps
- The impact of caffeine on your brain
- Sleep is a socioeconomic issue
- Practical tips to enhance your sleep environment
- The problem with sleep apps
- Hot sleepers can cool their side of the bed
- Understanding sleep apnea
- Sleeping in separate rooms could save your marriage
- Define your sleep space with a scent
- Is it a sleep problem or an anxiety issue?
- Does light behind the knee shift the biological clock?
- Debunking the myth: 1 hour of early sleep counts for 2 hours of sleep after midnight
- When should you exercise for maximum calorie burn?
- Eating calories earlier in the day is better for glucose metabolism
- Fatigue is a marker of an underlying health issue
- Sleep is the most important cognitive enhancer
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
LMNT <== Claim your free LMNT Sample Pack when you make any purchase
Russell Foster - Life Time (book)
Follow These Easy Steps to Optimize Health & Reduce Inflammation | Dr. Roger Seheult (#498)
How to Optimize Your Sleep, Practical Advice From an Ex-Insomniac | Diane Macedo (#460)
Start Breathing Through Your Nose to Completely Transform Your Health | Patrick McKeown (#438)
James Nestor – Breathe This Way to Transform Your Body and Mind (#413)
116: Dr. Michael Breus – The Mystery Of Sleep • What Is Your Chronotype? • The Best Pillow And Mattress
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.