516: Everything You’ve Been Told About Weight Loss Is Wrong! (Do This Instead) | Dr. David Ludwig
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/516drdavidludwig
Dr. David Ludwig is an endocrinologist and researcher at Boston Children’s Hospital. He’s a Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and Professor of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health.
For more than 25 years, Dr. Ludwig has studied the effects of dietary composition on metabolism, body weight and risk for chronic disease – with a special focus on low-glycemic index, low-carbohydrate and ketogenic diets.
Described as an “obesity warrior” by Time Magazine, Dr. Ludwig has fought for fundamental policy changes to improve the food environment.
He has authored more than 200 scientific articles and presently serves as an editor at The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Dr. Ludwig is author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Always Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently.
If you're just about to begin your weight loss journey or you've hit a plateau along the way, this conversation is for you!
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is the carbohydrate-insulin model?
- Insulin is miracle grow for your fat cells
- Naked carbohydrates are a metabolic disaster
- The right way to eat carbs
- Shift your metabolism one meal at a time
- Transitioning from the SAD diet to a keto diet
- The first step to weight loss
- Are you a high insulin secreter?
- Type 1 diabetes and insulin
- Carbohydrates raise insulin and suppress glucagon (a bad combo)
- The problem with fructose
- Dr. Ludwig’s approach to time-restricted eating
- Coffee stimulates weight loss
- Fasted exercise lowers insulin resistance
- Start walking after your meals
- Why exercise is a poor prescription for weight loss
- How your metabolism changes as you age
- Sleep and stress alter fat cell behaviour
- Being fat is not the problem, it’s the ill health of your fat cells
- The nibbling vs. gorging study
- Figuring out the best time of day to eat for your insulin
- There’s death in eating... no matter what diet you consume
- We need proper investment in our food supply
Just Thrive <== 15% off all Just Thrive products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. David Ludwig, Dawn Ludwig - Always Hungry? (book)
Follow Dr. David Ludwig on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
Dr. David Ludwig, Dawn Ludwig - Always Delicious (book)
The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model: A Physiological Perspective on the Obesity Pandemic (study)
Competing Paradigms of Obesity Pathogenesis: Energy Balance Versus Carbohydrate-Insulin Models (study)
Nibbling versus Gorging: Metabolic Advantages of Increased Meal Frequency (study)
Use These 3 Daily Hacks to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally | Dr. Jason Fung (#496)
This Is Why You’re Unhealthy & How to Fix It! | Dr. Casey Means (#479)
Surprising Hacks to Balance Your Blood Sugar & Beat Inflammation | Jessie Inchauspé (#476)
The Bitter Truth About Sugar: It’s Poisoning You! | Dr. Robert Lustig (#474)
Intermittent Fasting Is the Key to Weight Loss | Dr. Jason Fung (#467)
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.