517: How to Reduce Your Biological Age & Live Longer | Dr. Kara Fitzgerald
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/517drkarafitzgerald
Dr. Kara Fitzgerald (IG: @drkarafitzgerald) is engaged in clinical research on DNA methylation using a diet and lifestyle intervention developed in her virtual and in-person Functional Medicine clinic.
She is the author of Younger You. This ground-breaking book details an 8-week study that resulted in a 3-year reversal of biological aging and the step-by-step program that will help you live better and longer.
At the end of this conversation you’re going to have a good idea of what you need to do to start aging backwards - you don't want to miss it!
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is methylation + why it matters
- DNA methylation controls gene expression
- B12 and folate influence DNA methylation
- The difference between folate vs. folic acid
- Avoiding folate overload
- The top methyl-donor foods
- Eating to reverse your biological age
- What are methylation adaptogens?
- Lactobacillus supports the production of folate
- Ketones influence gene expression
- Methylation testing recommendations
- The Mediterranean diet vs. the methylation diet for age reversal
- Comparing the age reversal study in men vs. women
- Who benefits from the Younger You Program?
- The evolution from Kara's initial study to study 2
- Vitamin D deficiency accelerates biological aging
- The Younger You Program has a vegetarian/vegan option
- Exercise has a massive influence on DNA methylation
- How much exercise do you need per week for longevity?
- Poor sleep is aging you
- The impact of stress on aging
- A meditation practice can reverse your biological age
- 8 weeks to a Younger You!
LMNT <== Claim your free LMNT Sample Pack when you make any purchase
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. Kara Fitzgerald - Younger You (book)
Follow Dr. Kara Fitzgerald on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Listen to Dr. Kara Fitzgerald previously on TUHP (episode #122)
New Frontiers in Functional Medicine Podcast
FREE Biological Age Self-Assessment Quiz
Listen or watch Dr. Jeffrey Bland previously on TUHP (episode #481)
Dr. Herbert Benson - The Relaxation Response (book)
How to Build Muscle to Burn Body Fat & Live Longer | Dr. Gabrielle Lyon (#514)
Use These Fasting Secrets to Burn Fat & Prevent Disease! | Dr. Mindy Pelz (#512)
The Top Foods You Should Eat & Avoid to Beat Disease | Dr. William Li (#506)
The 5 Best Foods for Longevity! (Eat as One Meal) | Max Lugavere (#502)
Dr. Ben Lynch on Rewriting Your Genetic Destiny (#394)
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.