518: New Science to Help Your Dog Live Longer & Prevent Disease | Dr. Karen Becker
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/518karenbecker
Dr. Karen Becker's (IG: @drkarenbecker) deliberate, common sense approach to creating vibrant health for companion animals has been embraced by millions of pet lovers around the world, making her the most followed vet on social media.
She has spent her career as a small animal clinician, empowering animal guardians to make intentional lifestyle decisions to enhance the wellbeing of their animals.
Karen also writes and lectures extensively and serves as a wellness consultant for a variety of health-oriented organizations.
Today we’re discussing her latest book that she co-wrote with Rodney Habib, The Forever Dog: Surprising New Science to Help Your Canine Companion Live Younger, Healthier, and Longer.
If you’re a dog owner who is serious about giving their dog the best chance at a long and healthy life, you need to stick around for this conversation.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Pay attention to your pet's symptoms
- Schedule proactive wellness visits every 6 months
- How to find a proactive wellness veterinarian
- Learn how to advocate for your pet
- Improving your dog’s health can improve your own health
- What is the best diet for your dog?
- The issues with feeding your pets ultra-processed foods
- Create an eating window for your dog
- Understanding core vaccines for dogs
- Get a vaccine antibody titer test
- Dr. Becker’s vaccine protocol
- What is an IFA antibody test?
- Why Dr. Becker doesn’t recommend the “puppy package” at your local vet
- The 6-in-1 vaccine is an immunological nightmare
- Kennel cough is NOT prevented by the kennel cough vaccine
- Why you should choose the 3-year rabies vaccine over the 1-year
- Know the signs & symptoms of leptospirosis
- How do you discern Lyme disease exposure vs. infection?
- Detox recommendations for vaccine exposure
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Rodney Habib & Dr. Karen Becker - The Forever Dog (book)
Follow Dr. Karen Becker on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Listen or watch Dr. Karen Becker previously on TUHP (episodes #109, #110, and #435)
Dr. Karen Becker - Dr. Becker's Real Food For Dogs & Cats (book)
College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies (CIVT)
Susan Thixton - The List (The Truth About Pet Food website)
Listen to Dr. Satchin Panda previously on TUHP (episode #353)
Rodney & Dr. Becker (Mind Jam Podcast) - Dr. Satchin Panda: Light, Circadian Rhythm & Our Pets' Health
University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Karen Becker and Dr. Ronald Schultz on Pet Vaccines (video)
Kansas State University Rabies Laboratory
Dr. John Robb - Protect the Pets
The Top Foods You Should Eat & Avoid to Beat Disease | Dr. William Li (#506)
The 5 Best Foods for Longevity! (Eat as One Meal) | Max Lugavere (#502)
187: Focus Friday – Ultimate Dog Health
082: Natasha Knutson – Next Level Pet Health | Superfoods For Super Dogs | Pets Aging Gracefully
078: Dr. Robynne Chutkan – Microbiome 101 | Stop Sanitizing Yourself Sick | Having A Dog Will Boost Your Health
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.