521: The Best Foods to Eat to Heal the Brain & Fight Disease | Dr. Christopher Palmer
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/521drchristopherpalmer
Dr. Christopher Palmer (IG: @chrispalmermd) is an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and the Director of the Department of Postgraduate and Continuing Education at McLean Hospital.
For the past 25 years, he has been an academic physician with administrative, research, educational and clinical roles.
Today we’re discussing Chris’ book Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health - and Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD, and More.
If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, this is a game changing conversation that shouldn’t be missed.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Mental disorders are metabolic disorders of the brain
- What is metabolism?
- Insulin resistance is a symptom of metabolic dysfunction
- Mitochondrial dysfunction = metabolic dysfunction
- Mitochondria are the missing link to mental illness
- How a metabolic treatment plan can help you overcome a mental disorder
- Tom’s story (schizoaffective disorder in remission)
- The ketogenic diet can help people recover from chronic mental health disorders
- Stimulate mitochondria processes through lifestyle strategies
- Diet & exercise can help heal chronic depression
- Psychiatric meds can cause metabolic harm
- The importance of working with a healthcare provider
- Put your life-threatening mental disorder into remission
- Antibiotics can disrupt the function of mitochondria
- Treating depression with the Brain Energy Theory
- The top dietary approaches to help fix metabolic health
- You don’t need to count calories to restore metabolic health
- The metabolic theory of mental illness gives people hope
- Chronic mental symptoms are a symptom of metabolic dysfunction
- The challenges of recovering from chronic cases of mental illness
- Supplements that improve mitochondrial health
- The best foods to eat for brain health
- A ketogenic diet resets brain cells
- Intermittent fasting is the most rapid way to elevate ketones
- Chris’s thoughts on exogenous ketones
AirDoctor <== Save up to $300 off an AirDoctor air filter by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. Christopher Palmer - Brain Energy (book)
Dr. Christopher Palmer's website
Follow Dr. Christopher Palmer on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Use These Daily Hacks to Reduce Inflammation, Boost Energy & Live Longer | Dr. Molly Maloof (#519)
Intermittent Fasting Is the Key to Weight Loss | Dr. Jason Fung (#467)
A New Take On the Keto Diet With More Benefits & No Deprivation | Dr. Steven Gundry (#461)
365: Dr. Uma Naidoo – This Is Your Brain On Food
359: Dr. Daniel Amen – The End Of Mental Illness
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
5. Download The Ultimate Health Podcast app (FREE). This way you’ll have our whole library of episodes right at your fingertips. Download our iOS/Apple app or our Android app.
6. Share using the buttons below.