533: Tristan Harris | Reclaiming Our Future with Humane Technology
Tristan Harris (@tristanharris) is a former Google design ethicist, primary subject of the acclaimed Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma, co-founder of the Center for Humane Technology, and co-host of the podcast Your Undivided Attention.
What We Discuss with Tristan Harris:
- Why we're worth more to social engagement platforms as manipulatable slabs of predictable human behavior than as free-thinking individuals.
- How the social networks of the early 2000s so quickly turned from places where we could keep in touch with friends, family, and colleagues into disinformation amplifiers that contribute to the destabilization of democracies.
- Why your algorithm-tailored online experience so radically differs from that of your closest friends and loved ones, and why this is a problem when the public good is cast aside in the interest of keeping us engaged and enraged.
- The unintended consequences of allowing an algorithm to bring people together by what it sees as similar interests, and how this has thrown fuel on the disinformation fire.
- How attempting to outthink a social media algorithm is like trying to play chess against a computer that can look ahead and counter every move you could possibly make.
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/533
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!