626: Donald Miller | How to Build a Story Brand
As a business owner, networker, and/or entrepreneur, it’s your story that captures the attention of the people you are trying to reach. Donald Miller is an author, public speaker, business owner, and the CEO of StoryBrand. He is also the author of the #1 bestselling book Building a Story Brand.
Through his company StoryBrand, he helps people capture and clarify their message to their audience/customer base in a way that sells not just a product or service, but a story that they can join.
Don’t miss out on the gold in this episode as we dive in and learn more from Donald about the factors you need to become a best selling author, and how to build a story brand.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- I introduce today’s guest, Donald Miller
- Check out guestio.com and let’s get you some world-class content
- Donald gives us a bit of background on his story
- Growing up on survival mode
- Introverted as a kid
- Becoming a great CEO
- Never went to college!
- Vanderbilt University picked up the StoryBrand Framework
- A desire to become a best selling author
- The journey there
- When to know you have got something ‘good’
- You need to be obsessed with it
- A built in ‘shit-detector’
- Confess and test material
- The daunting task of marketing a book on marketing
- Developing and testing the framework first
- Doubling revenue with words alone
- Donald’s experience after writing his first book
- Overcoming the ego
- Releasing more books successfully
- When to stick with it, when to give it up
- Delusional optimism will get you far
- Don’t hold on to past things as precious
- A word from our sponsor
- Donald’s ingredients for getting a book to hit
- The luck factor
- The value factor
- The self-promotion factor
- The importance of humility
- Arrogant people don’t self-promote
- Humble people know people need their message
- Who you know or what you know?
- Who you know, but you have to be competent
- Take the shot when you get the opportunity
- Evening out the playing field for others
- Stay uncomfortable
- The art of pushing yourself
- Push it then back off and repeat
- Dive into the deep end but don’t stay there
- How to build a story brand
- Takin the elements of storytelling and turn it into message clarification
- How to keep people interested
- The 4 characters you can play
- ThE RaNDoM RoUnD
- How to engage with Donald
- Links below
- Final words
“One of the differences between good CEO’s and great CEO’s… One of the greatest common denominators of those who make that leap, is that they grew up poor.” - Donald Miller
“These businesses were doubling in sales by only changing the words on their website… and the great thing is words are free!” - Donald Miller
“Delusional optimism will get you very far in life.” - Donald Miller
“If you’re slightly uncomfortable, you’re growing.” - Donald Miller
Pick up a copy of Donald Miller’s latest book “Business Made Simple. 60 Days to Master Leadership, Sales, Marketing, Execution, Management, Personal Productivity and More” here. For more information, visit www.www.businessmadesimple.com.
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischapel.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy