645: Emily Chang | How Asking the Right Questions Can Build a Brand Like Apple
When you get comfortable asking uncomfortable questions, you may be surprised about what you learn and how it can benefit others. Emily Chang is currently the CEO for McCann Worldgroup, China, and previously served as the Chief Marketing Officer for Starbucks, China, and the Chief Commercial Officer for InterContinental Hotels group, Greater China.
Earlier in her career, she led Retail Marketing for Apple in Asia-Pacific and began her career with eleven years at Procter & Gamble. She is an action-oriented visionary known for cross-cultural team engagement, innovative brand building, and authentic people leadership. She is also the author of the book, Spare Room.
A true world-class leader, I can’t wait for you to jump in and find out more about how asking the right questions can build a brand like apple.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- I introduce today’s guest, Emily Chang
- Emily gives a bit of her background
- Growing up as an immigrant
- Navigating relationships and home-life
- The pressure to succeed and excel
- A hidden desire to become an oncologist
- Emily talks about what drove her to go into finance
- Brand management as a redirect
- Asking the right questions
- Don’t fear failure
- Leverage learning through asking
- Building meaningful connections
- Always finding a way to add value
- A word from our Sponsor
- Emily talks about how to keep a brand consistent at a large scale
- Being operational
- How humility comes into play
- Focus outward not inward
- Asking the right questions
- Leaving a legacy
- Stop focusing in on the ‘selling’
- Ask what legacy you want to leave with people
- Give people something to stand for
- Contribute more than you consume
- Who you know or what you know?
- How you approach things may be more important than the what or who
- Remember to surround yourself with the right people
- How relationships led to opportunities in Emily’s life
- Learning from mentors
- How to add value to people above you
- The impact of organic networking
- Genuine questions and curiosity
- Asking what you can add
- ThE RaNdOm RoUnD
- How to engage with Emily
- Links below
- Final words
“I think I was always interested in constantly building connections with people and seeing where I could add value with what I had to offer.” - Emily Chang
“I just learned to ask, and I think early on I was exposed to the difference between learning and failure… If I can learn something, and then I can turn around and leverage what I’ve learned, and it benefits someone else, I would consider that success.” - Emily Chang
“My job is not to innovate and make a name for myself, my job is to pay tribute to this brand and bring it to life in the best that I can in the context that I find myself in.” - Emily Chang
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischappell.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy