659: Ed Kressy | Relationships Can Save Your Life
We all know relationships are important, but in some cases, 'who you know' can even save your life. Ed Kressy went from being arrested by the FBI, to being recognized with a community service award by the FBI Director.
Ed's 20-year drug addiction led to stints in jails, rehabs, and homeless shelters. Thanks to relationships astonishing in their spiritual depth, Ed became a volunteer entrepreneur coach inside maximum-security prisons, delivered a guest lecture at MIT, and wrote for the Washington Post. He now volunteers helping law enforcement better serve communities affected by addiction and incarceration, and fulfils his lifelong dream of writing.
Let’s dive deep into Ed’s incredible story, where he came from and how he got to where he is, and learn how relationships can save your life.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- I introduce today’s guest, Ed Kressy
- Ed gives us some background on his story
- A love for reading and writing
- A struggle for self-worth and discipline
- The start of the addiction
- Ed shares about his journey of escapism
- You choose what you focus on
- Escaping from yourself
- From a good life to addiction
- Ed talks about the snowball effect into harder drugs
- The real problem is not the drug
- The effects of the drugs
- How intervention saved Ed’s life
- Friends and family stepping in
- Taking responsibility
- Instilling spiritual relationships
- The wake up call
- Ed’s story of a rude awakening
- Reaching out for a lifeline
- A word from our sponsor
- The importance of community and spirituality
- The need for a purpose
- Letting go of material satisfaction
- The only choice left
- Maintaining a beginners mind
- Who you know or what you know?
- Both and neither
- Guiding principles (3 S’s) vs. Connections
- Wisdom is better than knowledge
- Who has instilled the most wisdom in you?
- Ed’s thoughts on God
- The two groups who impact Ed the most
- Behind bars and badges
- Ed’s work with law enforcement
- There needs to be more resources for mental health
- Relationships are the gateway to healing
- Solving the incarceration crisis
- Ed talks about becoming an author
- The journey
- How it connects to Ed’s work
- The impact of a network
- ThE RaNdOm RoUnD
- How to engage with Ed
- Links below
- Final words
“We can choose what to focus on. We don’t necessarily have control over our circumstances, yet we have a high degree of control of what we focus on.” - Ed Kressy
“People believed in me, I never believed in myself.” - Ed Kressy
“Drugs and drinking are not the problem, they’re an attempt at a solution.” - Ed Kressy
- Ed’s Book - My Addiction & Recovery
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischappell.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy