680: Gordon Henry | How to Make Your Small Business Thrive
As a small business, how do you stand out in a crowded marketplace? Gordon Henry is a master at building businesses from good to great. Gordon is the Chief Strategy Officer of Thryv, Inc. a company giving small businesses the software and resources they need to excel.
His experience also includes his time as chief marketing officer for Yellowbook, where he managed print and online products for the company’s 700,000 advertisers and 5,000-member salesforce. Gordon was credited with building the company’s brand into a household name growing it from $500 million in revenue to $2 billion.
Let’s tune in and learn how to stand out and make your small business thrive.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- I introduce today’s guest, Gordon Henry
- Gordon gives us some background on her story
- Athletic in school
- An early interest in journalism
- Moving into marketing
- The inspiration for journalism
- Gordon talks about his pivot into marketing
- Gordon talks about the biggest changes in marketing
- No more friction in the process
- Biggest mistakes and wins in small businesses during the pandemic
- A look at the service sector
- Communicating with clients effectively
- The importance of CRM
- Building confidence
- Gordon shares about the mission behind Thryv
- Generating leads for small businesses
- Your database is key
- When it’s time to implement this tool
- A word from our sponsors
- How Gordon recommends to maintain your own personal touch
- Examples and advice
- Who you know or what you know?
- The importance of mentors
- The value of your own network of peers
- Gordon’s thoughts on paid masterminds and networking
- How networking impacted Gordon’s journey
- More the way than the what
- Advice for young people on their business path
- The example of fighter pilots
- ThE RaNDoM RoUnD
- How to engage with Gordon
- Links below
- Final words
“If you’re a business that wants to be relevant in 2021 and going forward you have to be communicating with people on their smartphone…” - Gordon Henry
“The mission we really set out was to empower small businesses to be able to compete in this landscape and do it at a price point they can handle.” - Gordon Henry
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischappell.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy